Guidelines for Providing a Healthy and Safe Environment
The following guidelines have been created to instill a sense of confidence that the environment will be safe and healthy for staff, members and children. The guidelines were developed by an advisory committee consisting of local health experts, the Executive Board, the current President and members of the board, and community members
The committee created the guidelines with consideration of the New Orleans JCC’s mission as well as recommendations from local, state, and national organizations, such as the Louisiana Department of Health (LDH), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and American Camp Association (ACA).
While the J is taking precautions as guided by health officials, community spread of COVID-19 is ongoing, and asymptomatic transmission is known to occur. Certain individuals, such as those over 65 years of age or with underlying health conditions, are at increased risk of severe disease and should consider taking extra precautions. All individuals should remain informed and take actions to support both their own and the community’s safety and well-being.
In addition to the general guidelines for the facility as a whole, members should also be familiar with program-specific guidelines:
- Until Monday, May 31, 2021 reservations are required for the Uptown cardio and weight rooms before 9:00 AM and after 3:00 PM Monday-Friday and before 1:00 PM Saturday-Sunday.
- Reservations are required for all Uptown group exercise classes, indoor and outdoor lap swimming, pickleball, and basketball.
- Members can learn how to make reservations online by clicking here.
Masks or cloth face coverings
- Face coverings are required (covering nose and mouth) at all times unless fully vaccinated.
- Physical distancing (6 feet of separation) is encouraged in both indoor and outdoor settings.
- For the safety of children, face coverings are required regardless of vaccination status while entering and exiting Uptown and Metairie facilities as well as common spaces outside of the fitness centers.
- Face coverings are required in all indoor spaces occupied by the New Orleans JCC Summer Camps, Nursery School and Pre-K.
Wellness and Temperature Checks
- Temperature checks are no longer required; however, if you have a fever, a cough, shortness of breath, or even just feel a little run down, don't take a chance -- stay home.
- Members must complete a waiver prior to using the facility. Print and complete at home to save time, or fill one out after you check in. The parent or guardian member must complete prior to a minor's use of the facility.
- Practice good hygiene, such as washing your hands regularly, particularly before and after using the restroom, eating or handling food, and touching one’s face. If it is not possible to wash your hands, please use hand sanitizer.
STRATEGIES TO REDUCE RISK OF TRANSMISSION
- Plexiglass sneeze guards have been added to all welcome desks.
- Signage has been added throughout the facility to remind members to follow social distancing of six feet.
- Reservations required for group exercise classes, lap swimming, and group ex classes.
- Equipment and furniture have been moved to allow adequate spacing.
- Additional cleaning staff has been hired to ensure all equipment is wiped down after each use.
- High-touch surfaces are cleaned continuously with EPA-registered, virus-killing disinfectants.
WHO SHOULD STAY HOME
To help protect each other, please refrain from coming to the JCC if you:
- Are displaying any of the following symptoms: coughing, shortness of breath, breathing difficulty, fever, chills, repeated shaking with chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, or new loss of taste or smell
- Have been quarantined for or diagnosed with COVID-19 in the past 14 days
- Have been in close contact with someone who has displayed any of the above symptoms or been quarantined for or diagnosed with COVID-19. You do not need to quarantine if you have been fully vaccinated (≥2 weeks following receipt of the second dose in a 2-dose series, or ≥2 weeks following receipt of one dose of a single-dose vaccine), AND have remained asymptomatic since the current COVID-19 exposure
WHEN TO RETURN TO THE JCC
Those who have been sick must receive a COVID-19 test prior to returning to the JCC. The date of return depends on the outcome of the test:
If person has negative COVID-19 test result, requirements for return are:
- Symptoms improve AND
- No fever without use of fever-reducing medication for at least 24 hours AND
- No close contact with positive COVID-19 case
If person has positive COVID-19 test result, requirements for return are:
- Isolated for 10 days since symptoms first appeared or date positive test was administered (whichever comes first) AND
- COVID-19 symptoms have improved AND
- No fever without use of fever-reducing medication for at least 24 hours
Persons with known close contact to a person who is lab-confirmed to have COVID-19 or who had symptoms consistent with COVID-19 may return to the JCC when ALL of the following criteria have been met:
- 14-day self-quarantine period from the last date of exposure AND
- A negative COVID-19 test
- EXCEPTION: You do not need to quarantine if you have been fully vaccinated (≥2 weeks following receipt of the second dose in a 2-dose series, or ≥2 weeks following receipt of one dose of a single-dose vaccine), AND have remained asymptomatic since the current COVID-19 exposure
IF A PERSON BECOMES ILL AFTER BEING AT THE JCC
Any person who is confirmed to have COVID-19 within 2 days of being at the JCC is asked to notify Assistant Executive Director Rachel Zoller so that appropriate precautions/facility closures can be put into place as guided by local health officials.
In the event of a positive case, please expect short term closures for cleaning and contact tracing in the event of a single positive case. Substantial spread in our camp may lead to longer closures.