Want to bake your own challah for shabbat? Pastry Chef Noam Yaillen recently joined us at the Uptown JCC to teach the art of this wonderful tradition. Follow his recipe below and enjoy homemade challah for the next shabbat.
1 packet yeast
2 large eggs (plus another yolk or two for egg wash)
1/2 cup neutral oil
7 cups AP flour
1 tablespoon salt
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup warm water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bloom the yeast in the water for 5 to 15 minutes.
- Allow the mix to dry.
- Add yeast mixture and begin kneading.
- Add eggs and oil and continue kneading until dough forms.
- Let proof for at least 10 minutes.
- Form your strips to braid and then braid and egg wash. If you wish, toppings can be added during this step.
- Let rest for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Pop in the oven for approximately 30 minutes.
Tip from Noam: The more you let it proof and rise naturally, the smoother the dough will be and the fluffier the insides. If you have the time to let it rest for an hour or so until it’s doubled in size, great. If you can let it rest for 30 to 45 minutes rather than just 0 to 5, all the better.
View photos from Noam's visit on our Facebook page: