This Sunday at 1:00 PM cars will begin pulling up to the New Orleans JCC for a Drive-Thru Purim Celebration. The event was modeled after the JCC’s successful Dreidels & Doughnuts Drive-Thru experience in December. To date, 200 vehicles have registered for the event, which is expected to serve more than 640 members of the community
Cars filled with families will enjoy live music from Panorama Jazz Band as they receive six homemade hamantaschen in assorted flavors like poppy seed, raspberry, and apricot.
The St. Charles entrance of the JCC will be dressed for the occasion, featuring custom art from Joe Wos whose designs were displayed by many members of the Krewe of House Floats. Bubble machines will be at full capacity and staff will be dressed in theme to make the experience filled with merriment.
Participants must remain inside their vehicles during the event but are encouraged to wear festive attire, roll down their windows to enjoy the live music, and wave at the JCC staff. The Drive-Thru Purim Celebration is a free community event made possible by the support of the Jewish Endowment Fund of Louisiana (JEF).
Just in case you eat your six hamantaschen before you pull in your driveway, we have you covered with the recipe and instructions to create these delicious treats at home.
HOW TO MAKE HAMANTASCHEN
- 4 eggs
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- ¾ cup oil
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 ½ cups flour
- 2 pounds pitted prunes
- 1 orange (skin on, cut into eighths and pitted)
- 1 drop of water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup walnuts
- Cook prunes and orange with water.
- Place in a food processor to chop.
- Add honey and nuts to form a paste.
- Cream eggs and sugar. While beating, add oil, vanilla, salt, and baking powder.
- Gradually add flour and mix thoroughly.
- Knead until smooth.
- Roll out no more than ¼ inch thick on a floured surface. Cut into 2-inch rounds with a small glass or biscuit cutter.
- Place a dab of filling in the center of the circle and turn up three sides to form a triangle. Pinch the corners to seal.
- Place on a greased sheet about 2 inches apart and bake at 350 degrees for about 17 minutes, or until golden brown.